You are invited to a study day entitled:
‘Mindful Awareness is Just the Beginning’ Workshop
at Newland House, Edgbaston, Birmingham
On Sunday 28th June 2015, 9 30am to 4 00 pm
Cost £20 including vegetarian buffet lunch and all refreshments
The overall theme for the day is ‘Mindful Awareness is Just the Beginning!’
On the day we will:
- Look at concepts
- Undertake activities
- And have discussions based around observation and attention and why these are important
We will explore:
- what observes?
- what is mindful of what?
- mindfulness is just the beginning of what?
- how can this lead to wisdom and happiness?
- and the three aspects of man: Physical, Intellectual and Emotional (or Body, Mind and Heart)
There will be a showing of a video of a TED lecture (technology permitting) given by an eminent American neurologist. She gives a talk about her direct experience of seeing the brain from the ‘inside out’ during her own experience of suffering from a stroke.
She shares some thought provoking conclusions.
This will lead us into a discussion on the right hand/left hand brain and the part that these play in Mindful Meditation practices.
Activities offered to help us explore all this will be:
- Tai Chi
- and Sounding (basic Sanskrit vowels, everyone will be able to do it).
All three demand attention, raise awareness and work on different aspects of our physical/mental/emotional being.
The aim is to have an interesting, happy, peaceful and inspiring day.
All are welcome including any family or friends you think may be interested, although we do have to limit the numbers to 24 people for practical reasons. So if you want to come please book early to save disappointment.
To secure your place on the workshop you can enrol using the form at the bottom of this page.
I look forward to seeing you,
Sorry the workshop is now full.
Science and Practice of Meditation workshop
This workshop will be an exploration of the Science and Practice of Mediation.
At this workshop we shall:
- Explore the various types of meditation practiced throughout the different cultures of the world
- Look at how the brain seems to be pre-wired to enable and benefit from the practice of meditation as discovered from recent studies in neuroscience
- Look at the effect meditation has had on long term mantra based meditators
- Look at the effect meditation has on health in general
- Explore the spiritual/psychological reasons to practice meditation
- We will also practice four different types of meditation throughout the day
The practices will be:
- a mindful awareness exercise
- a spoken guided meditation
- a Buddhist visualization technique
- and a simple Indian breath/sound (mantra) based technique
This workshop is being delivered and led by David Nock who:
- has been studying philosophy for 31 years
- practicing mantra based meditation for 36 years
- studied various other types of meditation practices
- and has a keen interest in the positive effect meditation has on humanity
David has run this workshop quite a few times now and it is always a peaceful, stilling and enjoyable experience.
Midlands School of Practical Philosophy, Newland House, 137-139 Hagley Road, Birmingham B16 8UA
Sunday November 2, 2014.
The programme will include refreshments and a full vegetarian buffet lunch.
If you have any questions in advance please feel free to call 0121 454 2540.
Midlands School of Practical Philosophy
137-139 Hagley Road, Edbaston
Birmingham B16 8UA
0121 454 2560